Thursday, October 8, 2015

Movie Review: The Martian

Movie: The Martian
Genre: SciFi
Starring: Matt Damon, Jeff Daniels, Sean Bean
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: Two thumbs up

I got the book read just in time to see the movie! After reading the book, its all I could think about so to continue the obsession with the movie was awesome. And then that night I couldn't sleep for living on Mars and dealing with problems all night long!

Anyway, I loved the movie. It was just as awesome as expected. Great book adaptation. Thought, I do fear seeing the movie so close to reading the book is not such a great idea. Usually when I see the movies, I've read the book so far long ago that I don't remember the details. Not so with this one!

Growing potatoes

They had to condense stuff of course (making his ordeal not seem as long) and in the end they had to leave out several other dramatic problems. But then, the made the actual ending quite a bit different in order to up the drama. So there you go. I was like "WAIT, that did not happen like that!" very loudly. My daughter had to shush me!

Anyway. Matt Damon was perfect and I love how he conveyed the humor from the book just right. So many funny moments! It's truly a lesson on how to deal with crap by using humor. We could all learn from that!

I guess Jordan looks like Mars.
(I read that's where it was filmed.)

I also loved seeing the world come together to accomplish this mission! And how they just didn't care how much it cost or what things they had to destroy in order to make it happen. It was great.

The part (SPOILER) when he is finally in the rocket at the end and he breaks down crying... wow. Wow wow wow. Loved.

If you are into space movies, Matt Damon, or science, even just a little bit... see this movie!

Here's the trailer:




P.S. I didn't give a summary because I just barely did that here in my review of the book! Basically, this guy is stranded on Mars and the rest of the world figures out how to get him home.

P.P.S. And I loved the disco music, I don't care what Mark Watney thinks!




4 comments:

  1. I just saw the movie this week too. Having not read the book, I thought it was very entertaining and suspenseful. Especially that scene at the end. I loved the disco music too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the book, but was worried that the movie wouldn't be as good - especially since TV interviewers haven't been full of praise. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it and am actually excited it has a few changes as I don't like to watch things where I know exactly what is going to happen. Thanks for getting me excited about this again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you'd love this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was great too! I was sad to see some of the dramatic problems he faced cut out, but I thought the emotional impact was greater in the movie.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails