Monday, November 24, 2014

Movie Review: Mockingjay Part One

Movie: Mockingjay Part One
Genre: Drama/Dystopian Fantasy
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: two thumbs up


While I was plenty excited to see this movie, I was also a bit worried about it since it's a part one and all. I don't like part ones very  much. I mean, they are usually good movies but I hate that whole "to be continued" feeling at the end when things are just getting going and then you have to stop and wait a whole freaking year for the conclusion and satisfying (hopefully) ending.
I liked Effie's new look! :)

I was worried about that feeling. And I must admit, that feeling happened pretty much as I expected. I was glad they ended where they did though, and not about five or so minutes before. Because at least one problem was solved, even if there are plenty more waiting for them.

Poor Peeta.

That being said, I thought the movie itself was awesome and very engaging and not slow as some people have said. But then again, I'm invested in these characters and have been for a long long time, way before the movies. Which makes even the slow bits fascinating.

So I enjoyed it and thought the actors did an amazing job at building the tension and showing the emotional trauma these characters are facing. They are just so good! I loved seeing more of Gale. I'd forgotten he had a more prominent role in this part of the story. I loved seeing him but am nervous for what's to come!
A sweet moment with Gale.

The music was awesome, especially the part where Katniss starts singing. I totally didn't remember this part in the book and came home and looked it up and sure enough, there's the song. It's such a haunting song and such a pivotal point in the story, I think it will go down as the coolest part of this whole movie.

So, those are my thoughts! If you've seen it, what did you think?

With Jenni, Kami, and Toto.

With our husbands in the theater. 



Here's the trailer if you missed it somehow along the way:



And here's The Hanging Tree song:

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it very much. I'm not as invested in the characters, having not read the books, but I like them well enough and thought this first part did a good job of building up to Part Two of the story. I don't mind the 'to be continued' feel when I know that is going to happen going in. I don't like it when that part is a surprise, which usually doesn't happen with films so much but does tend to happen with books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl: I'm glad the part 1 thing wasn't a surprise so I could be totally prepared. I think I remember being sort of surprised with the Hobbit movie. I think I'd heard rumors or something.

      Delete
  2. That song has been stuck in my head since we saw the movie! I really liked this as a part 1. I think they used a lot of good material, and there is plenty left for Part 2. I can't wait til next year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami: I agree they did an awesome job, even for a part one.

      Delete
  3. I loved the movie too. I thought it was awesome! I'm excited to see part 2. I just wish we didn't have to wait a year. And, I love Katniss's song. I've been obsessed with it since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: I know.. what's with the year wait? They know we'll all go and pay money whether it's a year or a few months.

      Delete
  4. I really need to set aside my trepidations and just go out and watch the movie. I saw the first movie three times in the theater; I loved it THAT much! I was afraid my heart couldn't stand seeing what happens in the second book, so I am sad to say I still haven't watched Catching Fire. Everyone loves the movies so much that I have to trust they didn't screw up the story at all. Maybe this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle: YES! If you loved that first one so much, you'll for sure love the rest. Go go go!

      Delete
  5. I liked it too. I can't wait for the final installment.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails